An architect uses a laptop for 3d Modeling, Drafting, Rendering and creating Presentations. These tasks are heavy tasks and it required a strong laptop for it. Not every laptop with a high price will work best for you in your architectural work. So use your money to buy a laptop that fits perfectly with your workflow. Before buying any laptop for architectural purposes you should remember below listed tips. So here are some tips to choose the Best laptops for Architecture Students.
Tips for Architectural Laptop :
CPU: There are i5 and i7 processors in budget. i7 has more cores than i5. More cores, better for drafting, 3d modeling, and rendering.
GPU: It takes the load from the CPU and completes the task smoothly. For doing graphical work on 3D software graphic card is a must. It is preferred to not go less than GTX 1660.
RAM: It is used for multitasking and storing data while you are running your software. While using Lumion with SketchUp running in the background a 16 GB RAM can handle this task. IT is preferred to not go less than 16 GB. 8 GB RAM can also handle the workflow but it will limit you to not use two software together.
Display: High-end display is need for more realistic and accurate colors. During rendering and post photoshop editing it will be needed. Panel type should be IPS (Not TN). Prefer to buy a larger display minimum of 15″.
Cooling: Heating can be a major issue during your rendering and modeling process because CPU and GPU release heat and if not cooled down it can slow down and the life of the laptop will also affect. Prefer to have thick laptops with a better cooling system.
Storage: There are two types of storage HDD and SSD. SSD is much faster than HDD. It is preferred to have all your software and windows stored in SSD which will smooth their running. HDD can be used to store the completed project files and material and textures.
While buying a laptop for architectural purposes we can compromise on features like weight, body, fingerprint sensor, battery life, keyboard lighting.
During the Covid pandemic online classed became the new normal, so a webcam can be preferred. A webcam can also be attached externally to a laptop.
Prefer to buy a laptop during the sales, it will save your money which you can use later to buy Laptop Essentials for an Architect.
Based on the above tips we have made a list of the best laptops for architecture students and architects.
Best laptops for Architecture Students :
1. Acer Aspire 3 Core i5 8th Gen – (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/2 GB Graphics MX 130) A315-53G-5968 Laptop (15.6 inch, Obsidian Black, 2.1 kg) :
- Good Screen
- Strong keyboard and keys
- Large storage
- Preloaded Window 10 Home
- No backlight
- It is heavy
- Battery life is okay
- The video quality is amazing
- Good sound quality
- 180 degree unfold
- Good battery
- Plastic Body
- Average camera
3. ASUS TUF Gaming F15 Laptop 15.6″ (39.62 cms) FHD 144Hz, Intel Core i5-10300H 10th Gen, GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Graphics (8GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Fortress Gray/2.30 Kg), FX566LH-HN257T
- 144 Hz Display
- RGB keyboard
- Fast boot time
- 418 GB SSD left after the preloaded files
- Plastic Body
- Low camera quality (not 720p)
4. Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 Intel Core i5 10th Gen |15.6 inch(39.6 cm) Full HD IPS Gaming Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Graphics/Onyx Black/2.2Kg), 81Y40183IN
Fans fast and quite
Average battery life
5. HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch(39.62 cms) FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/1TB HDD/M.2 Slot/Windows 10/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1024AX
- CPU and GPU perform well
- Good thermal design
- Good Display
- Keyboard white backlight
- No SSD
- No software to control fan speed